My Budget Wishlist
Today I anticipate we will hear that the UK has done a lot better economically than many expected in the 18 months after the EU Referendum, but that there are still huge challenges ahead.
What would make a difference to our city of Gloucester?
I hope that the Chancellor will:
- Continue to reduce our budget deficit but using some of our growth to invest in infrastructure
- Announce lifting the salaries of certain front line public servants, and judiciously giving more investment in some public sector organisations
- Pay those on Universal Credit slightly faster when they first come in
- Do much more to build more homes that can be both bought and rented
- Invest more in education and particularly skills in technology
- Go further on new innovative industrial strategies, giving capital allowances for businesses
- Help the young on transport and education
- And help our environment by penalising unnecessary packaging and reducing plastics that damage the world
If we get most of this, and perhaps more, then I’ll be delighted.